Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

FGR FΔSHION | CONVENIENCE: Rent The Runway

By: RoseBuhd

How many of you have dreamed of wearing one of those gorgeous dresses that you've seen in magazines, TV and runways? Tons I bet... Well, I've stumbled on a website with an interesting concept. (Please note that I have NOT tried it, I'm just informing you of its existance.) Two friends from Harvard Business School had a problem that most of us do: a closet full of NOTHING to wear. But what sets them apart is they actually did something to fix that problem for everyone; they created the Netflix of dresses:
Rent The Runway!
[Click here] to see these Gossip Girl inspired dresses!

Apparently, you can pick a dress from their website for anywhere from $50 to $200 (I haven't seen any above $200 without the extra fees). They have TONS of designers and dresses valued at $3,000, but you can rent for 90% off. UUHHH-mazing.

They have fun catagories like, "This-is-getting-serious-date dresses" and "Gossip Girl style dresses." I don't know about you, but I adore Gossip Girl's style (which I put a picture of above).
So next time, instead of wearing the saaaame dress over and over again for special occasions, you can wear a different and gorgeous dress.

[Click here] to see these budget friendly dresses.
You get to pick 2 different sized dresses as a backup for no extra cost, and it only takes a few days to get to you. They say they dry clean the dress for you, guarantee on-time delivery, and a $5 insurance fee will keep you safe from wine spills or other stains. They also facilitate the process of shipping the dress back to them.

A positive review (5 stars) from Yelp:
"Fashonistas on a budget: listen up! Rent the runway is your ticket to wearing high end clothing for less! I know it sounds a little kitschy, but lemme tell you, this place is just a treasure chest full of dresses!! I just received my first order - a hot, lacy dress. They sent me the two sizes I requested and my first choice fit! I love that it comes with a little pack of goodies: a wisp toothbrush, lint remover, double sided tape, and a little sponge. In addition, they give you a return envelope to use when you are done with the dress. One thing you do get to keep is the garment bag - can't ever have too many of those! The website is so organized!! They have filters that allow you to search dresses based on size, event, and/or availability! One plus is that they allow you to order two sizes - just in case the original size you ordered doesn't fit you quite so well."

To keep this objective, you should know that there are of course risks to doing this. You may get a damaged dress, and they may think it's your fault then charge you for the entire dress. If that's the case, probably call them and report it right away. Order your dress before you need it, but not too far in advance because they only let you keep it for 4 days.

A bad review (1 star):
"It was the first time I was using Rent The Runway services, and I received the dress on the scheduled date (around 7 pm). I had my engagement party the very next night. When I received the dress it was both wrinkled and stained (not wearable). I immediately took it to the cleaners because I wanted to wear the dress, and it fit me perfectly, but I could not wear it in the state it was in...
I received an email from them saying that I had damaged the dress permanently and that I was being charged full retail price of the dress ($550) for the stain. I immediately called Rent the Runway and explained the situation. They said that I should have called them when I received the damaged dress because they have no evidence that the dress was sent to me in un-wearable condition."

[Click here] to visit their website!
[Click here] to read the New York Times article.
[Click here] to read some more reviews.

♀♀♀

No comments:

Post a Comment