Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

FEMΔLE GONE ROGUE | Profile: Av (Hella Proper)


By: BitterSweet

Av of Hella Proper is leading the pack of San Jose's female DJs. Her male competitors have nothing on her when it comes to taking the electro/dance/dupstep scene by storm! She's known for throwing parties full of indie disco, glitch, fidget, dubstep and electro at Motif in downtown San Jose. I took the time to get a few questions from Av herself on music influences and being a female DJ.

------------------------------------------
1. What is the best part about being a female?
Multiple orgasms, lol.

2. Who is your role model?
Anyone that exerts positivity. Anyone passion driven, those that are constantly trying to master their craft and contributing in a positive way to their art so that its not only kept alive but ever evolving.

3. Who did you listen to growing up?
Everyone and everything.

4. Ethnicity/ Where are you from?
Mostly filipino, from the motherland baby.

5. How did you get started DJing?
I've always had a sort of fascination with vinyl growing up, but it wasn't until I was about 8 years old that I discovered DJing. My older cousin was a DJ and I remember breaking into his room whenever he'd go to work lol. He had these crappy belt drives but a sweet gemini mx2200 mixer.. I'll never forget it because it had wood grain sides and that was when I fell in love w/ the function of the fader lol.. Fast forward to middle school where I worked under the table for a whole summer and bought my own set up.. I guess the rest is history?

6. What do you do on your free time?
Music, and more music.

7. Favorite era of music?
I really feel like there is something to love about each era of music. I don't know if I could pick a favorite era if I tried..

8. Music/ What are you currently into? Why?
Lunice, Mount Kimbie, Kingdom, Diplo, and George FitzGerald.. A lot of the things I've heard come out of these artists prove time and again that less is more in their own sort of futuristic way. Its nuts, and I cannot get enough of it.

9. Who are your musical influences?
Z-Trip, Neil Armstrong, A-Trak, Diplo, Daft Punk, Kingdom, Lunice.. too many to name!

10.What do you feel you bring to the plate that a male DJ cannot?
Hahah I don't know.. I don't really think about that kind of stuff. I just really love playing music and feeding off peoples energy, its one of the greatest feelings in the world. Right up there with multiple orgasms, lol.

11.What challenges do you have as a female DJ? How do you deal with it?
I guess the most common thing would be that a majority of DJs are male, but I never give that kind of noise the time of day.

12.Who/What inspires you?
Innovators, re-inventers, remixers.. Whenever I hear something new or something familiar but different it makes me feel like I'm falling in love with music all over again.

13.Most memorable moment at a gig?
Every gig to me has something to remember it by. Anytime anyone / everyone on the dancefloor is feeling the kind of shit you're putting through the speakers is memorable.. ask any DJ.

14. Plans for the future?
Some original work, tons of remixes and touring!!

Shout Outs?
Big ups to my Hella Proper fam, I love you guys. Anyone I've ever worked with, anyone that has ever enjoyed my sets, everyone that I've met at gigs.

How to get connected:
AV HellaProper on FB and via tumblr @ HellaProper.tumblr.com, see you soon!

XXXO
Av

FGRTV: AV/HELLAPROPER COMING SOON.


♀♀♀

No comments:

Post a Comment