Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

EΔT ME: Chicken & Waffles

If you know me, you know that I love to eat(slow, but I still love my food)!
If you know me, you know that I love chicken.
If you know me, you know that I love chicken & waffles!
But if you really knew me, you probably heard me go on & on about how much I looove going to House of Chicken & Waffles in Oakland.

If it weren't for my cousin discovering this yummy little spot, then I probably would be deprived of good food. Everyone needs to try Chicken & Waffles. I'm so serious. I, unfortunately, haven't tried Roscoe's, but hopefully it won't take too long for that to happen. There are two spots that I have tried out here in the Bay Area. I wanted to give you all a comparison of my favorite meal made from two different restaurants.
Meet my partner in crime. I love finding new restaurants & eating at familiar ones with him because we always walk away with a full, satisfied stomach.
This is the spot I go to all the time. I live about 35-40 minutes away so I try to make a trip out at least once a week.

 Location:
Home of Chicken 'n Waffles
444 Embarcadero West
Oakland, CA 94607 

Business hours:
Mon-Thurs 10am-1am
Fri-Sat 10am-4am
Sun 9am-1am
We've heard so much about this place so we had to check it out for ourselves. This place is even further away from me, but I'd make a trip for good food any day. Plus I linger around SF enough to find the drive bearable.

Location:
Gussie's Chicken & Waffles
1521 Eddy Street
San Francisco, CA 94115

Business hours:
Mon Closed
Tues-Thurs 8am-10pm
Fri-Sat 8am-12am
Sun 8am-10pm

FGR Compare & Contrast
I ordered the closest thing to compare on each menu.

Order: Homeboy - 3 wings served with a choice of a Waffle, Potato Salad OR French Fries
Price: $10.25
  • This place isn't in the heart of the hood. It's right in front of Jack London Square which is filled with restaurants, hotels, Amtrak & the pier. Mind you, it's still Oakland, but it's located at a good place.
  • The fried chicken is soooooo delicious! It's not over whelming with flavor & has the perfect crisp to it. Plus it goes well with their hot sauce.
  • The hot sauce!!! I looove their hot sauce. I smother my chicken with it & sometimes even get it in my syrup. Which is totally fine because it doesn't hurt the taste of my waffle at all.
  • When it comes to waffles verses pancakes, I'm definitely on team waffle. The waffles here aren't the greatest waffles I've tasted, but goes well with the chicken. It needs a little more sugar, but nonetheless, it has the right crisp to it.
  • The service is excellent. They welcome you with a smile & make you feel right at home.
  • This place can get PACKED! It's right down the street from downtown Oakland. It's close enough to walk down after a club night or event. So if you don't want to wait in a loooong line, go during the week.
  • The menu is pretty creative. Not only that, but if you go to the restaurant side, it has the menu painted on the wall with a visual of the actual plate.
  • They close late! If it's not 4am, it's 1am & that makes this place very convenient.
Order: Fillmore Classic - 3 wings, 1 waffle, 2 eggs any style 
Price: $10.79 (two waffles $12.79)
  • The location of this place is a little sketch. It's in the heart of Fillmore & Eddy. Now if you know anything about SF, Fillmore isn't the most recommended street to be lingering on.
  • The place is well decorated. It's very clean and the lighting is dim, but not too dim to where you can't see your food. The atmosphere is really nice.
  • Southern Sweet Tea is a must have when you go here! I haven't tried the sweet tea in Home of C&W, but their sweet tea is nearly perfect. At first it tasted a little warm, but I had to stir it up a bit so the ice can wonder in my glass. It was very sweet nonetheless & came with free refills!
  • To be honest, the chicken wasn't too great. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't anything special. It was good. That's all though, just good.
  • The waffle is incredibly tasty! First bite I took, my eyes got so wide from all the great sweetness it had. I would say that their waffles are a lot more tastier than Home of C&W.
  • The syrup isn't your normal maple syrup, it's brown sugar syrup. Which made a lot of sense to why the waffle was sweet beyond belief.
  • It came with a side dish of 2 eggs. I had scrambled eggs & you can never mess those up! I thought The little side dish was nice. Although I think I could do without the eggs.

My perfect plate would be Home of C & W chicken + Gussies waffles + Gussies sweet tea = orgasmic meal. Until next time fatties!

♀♀♀
FGR, sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment