Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

HEΔLTH GONE ROGUE | FOOD: How To Cook Tofu & Broccoli Stir-Fry

By: RoseBuhd

Now, being a college student living on my own, I definitely don't have time to make feasts every night. Going out or ordering food definitely isn't wallet-friendly or exactly what your body needs.
Don't be off-put by the title, this tofu is soooo great, and I don't even like tofu that much. It's also really fast and easy. I also get to share it with my vegetarian roommate!
[Please, don't take this post as a subliminal message to get skinny; the message is to eat HEALTHY!]

Well, I got this out of a cookbook that my best friend got for me, entitled, "The Healthy College Cookbook" by Nimetz, Stanley, and Starr, and I felt the need to share because I just cooked this for 4 of my girlfriends, and they loved it.
Ingredients (for 2 servings)
1 Tbsp. peanut butter [I usually skip this.]
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. (hot) water [Microwave for a few seconds to melt PB]
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 or 2 Tbsp. Canola oil [This is more than the book suggests, but the broccoli burns otherwise]
3 cups chopped broccoli
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound firm tofu, cut into small cubes

Ready? GO!
  1. (Optional) Begin cooking your rice. [I have an Asian rice cooker, so this is just on while I do the rest of the steps.]
  2. In a small bowl, stir together the peanut butter, water, vinegar, and soy sauce. If PB isn't melted, put it in the microwave for 10 seconds.
  3. Heat oil in a large, nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the garlic and broccoli, then stir-fry for 5 minutes. Stir constantly!!! Also, be CAUTIOUS when adding wet broccoli into the hot oil.
  4. Add the tofu and stir-fry for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
  5. Pour over the tofu and broccoli, mix well.
I served it over white rice, but you could go even healthier and use brown rice.
I'm also a HUGE fan of the sauce; I just eyeball how much I want and keep in mind that the sauce comprises of equal parts of each of its components. 
Also, after I'm done stir-frying, I remove the contents into a big serving bowl to stop further cooking of the broccoli, then mix in the sauce in.

Let me know how it goes! Good luck in your cooking adventures; don't be afraid to change it up and cater to your own tastes!

P.S. I would've included a picture, but those females devoured it before I could get in a photo-op.
♀♀♀

No comments:

Post a Comment