Pages

Friday, October 8, 2010

FGR LIFESTYLE | ΔRT: Chemistry Nobel Prize

By: RoseBuhd

Alright, I am indeed a Chemistry nerd and PROUD of it! (*Please note that I do capitalize the C... it's THAT important.)
I feel like this is something you should know, because the Nobel Prize is a HUGE honor.
It is given to individuals that have revolutionized how the world operates.
This year, the Nobel Prize in Chemistry was given to 3 Chemists by the names of Richard F. Heck, Ei-ichi Negishi, and Akira Suzuki "for palladium-catalyzed cross couplings in organic synthesis."
Basically, what that is, is they formed a method to facilitate bonding between carbon atoms.

[Click here] to read about it in more detail!


Yes, the title is labeled as "ART," that's because in its own special way, chemistry IS an art. If you disagree, I'd like to see you try to synthesize an organic compound! The way in which these people come up with these theoretical mechanisms is stunning to me, let alone apply it to real reactions... 0_0

I think it's so interesting because a professor I had from last year, Dr. K.C. Nicolaou (who synthesized Vancomycin, an extremely powerful antibiotic that you may have heard of, and Taxol, an anti-cancer agent! If you're taking organic chemistry and are using the Volldhardt book, the cover is a picture of the molecule!), predicted that these guys were going to win a Nobel prize within the next few years, lo and behold it was the exact same year!
Also, I had to learn these reactions, so I know just how important these techniques are. These people are my heroes.
Proud to say that one of our professors, Dr. Roger Tsien, received 2008's Nobel Prize in Chemistry "for the discovery and development of the green fluorescent protein, GFP"!

The other Nobel Prizes given this week:
Physiology or Medicine: Robert G. Edwards "for the development of in vitro fertilization."
Physics: Andre Geim & Konstantin Novoselov "for groundbreaking experiments regarding the two-dimensional material graphene."
Literature: Mario Vargas Llosa "for his cartography of structures of power and his trenchant images of the individual's resistance, revolt, and defeat."
Peace: This will be given out Friday, October 8.
Economic Science: This will be given out Monday, October 11.

Thanks for geeking out with me... hehehe.

P.S. I did a little chemistry myself; I made a silver mirror via the Tollens test on the inside of a once-clear test tube. :] LOOK! (No, I do not endorse bringing out your phone during lab...)
Yes, that white blob in the middle-ish is ME! Hehehehe.

♀♀♀

No comments:

Post a Comment