Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

DOOO IT: Stop Ignorance

"That's so gay."
That phrase is said too often (actually, shouldn't be said at all), and so casually, where "gay" is substituted for "stupid."

Yes, I use to say it when I was younger because I always heard my older cousins say it and I didn't think it was a big deal. It wasn't until about 10 years ago when one of my favorite cousins came out, that I stopped using it.

What about... "Stop being such a fag"? I didn't realize what that phrase really meant until my cousin told me how much it hurt to hear people say it, which in turn hurt me all the way down into my soul. Since then, I've been on a mission to stop my friends from saying it. It's equivocating being gay as being stupid or a disgrace, which is simply not true. Even if you don't mean for it to be offensive... It still is. Yes, you can argue that you're using it to mean "cigarettes" or "a bundle of sticks," but that usually doesn't make sense... and that's supposedly where that label came from: they used to gather up gay people, tie them together and set them on fire... ergo, "fags." So please, stop using it. Let's be a little classier out there!

If you're a Glee fan, you've already heard something like this on an episode, but if you haven't, you need to see it. Honestly, one of the best TV moments I've ever seen:

(YouTube: "Glee Burt")

This also brings me to update you on the Prop. 8 situation.
Judge Walker appealed the validity of Proposition 8 (which bans same-sex marriages) on August 4, 2010. This would've allowed same-sex marriages to re-commence on August 18.
The Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit issued a stay on the appeal on August 16.
The appeal will be settled in San Francisco at The James R. Browning Courthouse on December 6, 2010.

That's right, just when equality seemed to be here, Prop. 8 supporters find a way to postpone it. It's 2010, perhaps it's time to open our minds. Hate isn't a valid reason to take away civil rights. (Civil Rights Movement of the 1960's, Martin Luther King Jr. & Malcolm X, and Women's Suffrage, anyone??)

♀♀♀
FGR, rosebuhd

1 comment:

  1. I'm really glad you posted this entry and this video. It's terrible that people are still using these phrases! Also, I'm gad the video addressed the use of the word "retard," which is another word that I think people should stop using. I have a brother who is mentally challenged and I absolutely cannot stand hearing people use that word. I think it, as well as gay and fag, is extremely insensitive and ignorant.

    Thanks again for posting this.

    ReplyDelete